WEEK 7 Done, Heading into the Homestretch
You ready for Week 8? This is the time of the CBSC summer when the calendar fills up even more (is that possible?), and the Club’s activities kick into overdrive with tournaments, triathlon, the regatta, sail past, artistic swim show, the tennis court dance, tank swim, gala and more. Even an extra water swimming was added next Wednesday (Aug. 25) from 12-1pm! Take a deep breath, load up on coffee and snacks and freezes at the concession-canteen-camaraderie, ‘can I have extra cream?’ club…and READY, SET, GO!
AUGUST FUN DAYS!
The theme for August continues to be CELEBRITIES/ATHLETES (or Celebrathletes)! Dress up and join the coaches in a fun-filled day of costume parades, stickers, candy and more!! So far, we have had sightings of Bjorn Borg, Tiger Woods, Britney Spears, and Mr. T to name a few!
- Swim Fun Day will be on your last lesson day of August. For most Swim Programs that will be Friday, August 27.
- Tennis Fun Days: Aug. 19th and 20th due to the Tennis Tournament next week.
Tennis Court Dance (Little Kids’ Dance)
- Tuesday, August 24th from 6 – 7pm
- Ages 7 & Under (Free)
- Dress up in your favourite party clothes and join Rhys and a special guest on the tennis courts for “Sally’s Shaker”.
- Have a great time dancing, then finish with a treat!
- To help us with our planning, please register through your ActiveNet account by 10am on Monday, August 23.
All of our scheduled family swim, master swims, and adult lane swim are on this week, with the exception of Sunday August 22, when family swim is from 12 – 5:00pm (artistic swim dress rehearsal takes over the pool!)
LAST CALL FOR AUGUST GALA SIGN UP
The August Swim Gala takes place at the Club pool and begins immediately following the Tanker Swim.
- Deadline for sign-up is 3pm on Monday, August 23.
- Deck entries will NOT be allowed for individual races but will be allowed for relays.
- Sign up NOW on the bulletin board outside the Clubhouse.
- You are eligible to participate in the Gala if you are signed up for at least one week of Swim Lessons, Training, Artistic Swim, Water Polo, Lifesaving, Junior Lifeguard, or Triathlon in July or you are a CBSC member 15 years or older.
- Completion of a Tanker swim is preferable before the first Gala.
- Full details and rules are posted at the Clubhouse.
We have added two new events to the Gala! Event 19B and Event 20B: Women’s and Men’s 50m freestyle event for ages 19+. The Gala rules apply to these individual events (no deck entries and must be a member). Medals for 1st to 3rd place and ribbons for 4th to 8th place. Please sign up on the board at the Clubhouse by the deadline.
CBSC hosted the Lower Mainland BCSSA Routines Feedback Meet for Artistic Swimming on Monday evening. Athletes from North Van Cruisers, the Coquitlam Sharks, and North Delta Sunfish joined our CBSC swimmers to perform their routines for judges, spectators and fellow artistic swimmers. Our athletes swam beautifully and our guests thoroughly enjoyed the evening in our gorgeous pool!
This Saturday we are heading to Eagle Ridge pool in Coquitlam for the individual figures portion of the meet. Good luck to all our artistic swimmers!
Dress rehearsals for the Artistic Swimming/Synchro Show are happening this Sunday night (5-8:30pm) and Wednesday morning (10:15-noon). All recreational artistic swimmers are needed at both rehearsals.
The Artistic Swimming/Synchro Show is happening at the CBSC Main Pool on Thursday, August 26th at 7pm. Spectators are welcome, gates will open at 6:30pm.
Friday is the last day to sign up for the August tournament! The sign-up binders will be out on the table until 5pm. Speak to the head coaches if you have any questions.
August Regatta, Sunday August 22
- The August Regatta is fast approaching this Sunday August 22nd with the first race at 11:00am.
- After the last race, we will have our sailing BBQ where we hand out the coveted hardware. 🏆 🥇
- We will have a cash only concession happening at the beach in front of the tank during the Regatta.
- For the races and the BBQ please register online through your ActiveNet account.
Here are the races:
1. Senior Race
Age: CANsail 3 and up
Sign up closes at 10:45am
First race at 11:00am
2. Family Race
Age: any and any level
Sign up closes at 12:15pm
First race at 12:30pm
3. Junior Race
Age: CANsail 2 and under
Sign up closes at 1:45pm
First race at 2:00pm
***Laser Bugs included in this race***
4. Open Race
Sign up closes at 3:30pm
First race at 3:45pm
5. Junior SUP
Age: 12 and under
Sign up closes at 11:15am
First race at 11:30am
6. Senior SUP
Age: 13 and up
Sign up closes at 12:15pm
First race at 12:30pm
See you at the tank Sunday morning⛵️
3rd Annual SAIL PAST
- 21 August @ 16:00 Hrs
- This is an event based on 600 years of tradition as a way to honor the Club.
- If you have never been to a sail past, consider it a parade of boats and for CBSC, this includes boats, SUP or floaties.
- Who: Everyone Welcome!
- When: Saturday August 21 @ 4pm
- Where: To sail, float, or paddle past the tank
AUGUST BULLHEAD DERBY
Q: What did one fish say to the other?
A: Keep your mouth shut and you won’t get caught!
We are entering the final week for the Bullhead Derby entries. Final deadline for submission will be Wednesday, August 25th in order to pick prizes and present the trophy (and bragging rights) to the winner of ‘Biggest Fish’ of the summer!
Please submit all entries of your child with their catch (including photo evidence!) and measurements of any bullhead caught to email@example.com. Any catch from the pier, beach, or boat off the beach is welcome. It has been reported that the fish are definitely biting!
What do you call a fish with no eyes?
Friday August 20 (Tonight!): postponed from Aug. 13
Registration is over for tonight’s Pentathlon. If you are registered, meet at the lifeguard tower right after Foot Races.
FINAL DATE is Friday, August 27
- FREE for ages 8 – 12 (must be 8 as of August 31, 2021)
- MUST BE A STRONG SWIMMER and comfortable swimming in the ocean.
- Be prepared to do some ocean swimming, running and even get messy, depending on the theme of the day!
- Last event, there were lots of kids covered in whipping cream!
- Register through your online ActiveNet account starting at 9am on Monday.
Deadline is 2pm on Thursday, August 26.
SUMMER ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Thursday, August 26
The Summer Annual General Meeting will be held on Thursday August 26th on the CBSC Pool Deck. It will start at about 7:45pm (immediately following the Artistic Swim Show). There will be some chairs, but not likely enough for all so please bring your own chair if you would like to ensure a seat. Also, please dress for the weather as it will be held outside rain or shine! See you at the Summer AGM!
Tonight – Footraces 7pm, followed by the ever-messy Pentathlon!
(Keep updated with any changes by following us on Instagram @swimcbsc, and don’t forget to wear your GREEN wristbands to club events and activities)