Week 5, Just Hitting Our Stride
By the time August is here, we all know what what to do, where to go, and can do the routines in our sleep! Kinda’!?
Last weekend’s traditional Tanker Swim and July Gala was a classic example of how CBSC creatively and swiftly adapts to adversity, and makes things happen! Not even a little bit of thunder and lightning could put a damper on our Gala day at CBSC. Thank you to everyone who jumped in and acted quickly to make the day run smoothly. The ribbon-cutting ceremony to officially open the new version of our ‘jewel of a pool’ was a proud moment in our Club’s 103-year history – and congratulations to our newly minted Tankers – welcome to the Club!
Hello!? ☎️ Clubhouse Office Telephone
The office telephone is back in service! To contact office staff call us at 604-538-2180, email email@example.com or drop by the Clubhouse office any weekday (except Wednesday) between 9am and 2pm.
Family Swim this Week
- All family swim, evening masters and adult lane swims are on as scheduled. Just a reminder to not bring any large floaties to the CBSC pool.
- Saturday and Sunday, August 7 and 8: 12-7pm
Evening Masters: T/Th 7:30-8:30pm
- Adult Lane Swim: T/Th 8:30-9:30pm; W 8-9pm, Sunday 10am-noon
Next week Wednesday (August 11): Family swim is 4-6pm and Adult lane swim is cancelled due to the artistic swim exhibition.
Competitive Artistic Swimming Exhibition
Our annual Competitive Artistic Swimming Exhibition happens next Wednesday, August 11th at 6:30pm in the main CBSC pool. Come cheer on our artistic swimmers as they show off their routines in advance of the Lower Mainland Artistic Swimming meet on August 16th.
The Artistic Swimming exhibition will be followed by the Water Polo Alumni game at 7pm.
Last Wednesday, we hosted the CBSC water polo tournament which was a huge success. With 20 teams and over 150 players entered within the three age categories of U12, U14 & U16, it amounted to a fun filled day with lots of games and some very tired bodies at the end of it. For many, this was their very first experience playing in a water polo game. Teams from North Delta and Burnaby came down to our pool to challenge our teams. The new beach polo rules implemented made the games exciting for the parents and spectators with a fast pace game and many more goals scored. A special thanks to all the volunteers, leaders and coaches for making this annual event possible this year.
Water Polo Alumni Game
Calling all past and present CBSC water polo coaches! Please join us for our annual CBSC alumni water polo game, Wednesday August 11, at 7:00 pm. Everyone is welcome to come cheer on and watch our past and present coaches play our current U16 team.
Kids Triathlon, Sunday August 22
Registration is now open for the annual Kids Triathlon on Sunday August 22 at 8:30am. This fun, free triathlon event is open to members ages 9-15. The swim-bike-run distances vary depending on age groups. Deadline to enter is Thurs. August 19 at 3pm in the clubhouse or online on ActiveNet. Don’t miss out! Lots of prizes, and certificates for all finishers!
For more info or to volunteer, please see Triathlon Head Coaches Noah and Daniel or Triathlon parent rep Kelly, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Tennis Carnival, Wednesday August 11
This coming Wednesday August 11th the CBSC tennis carnival will run from 1:30pm-4:30pm. Come out for an afternoon full of games, candy, prizes, and a super special coaches’ exhibition! Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions!
Sandcastle Contest, Sunday August 8
Digging starts at 10:00am and ends at 11:00am SHARP, so arrive by 9:45am to find your plot and get ready. Rain or Shine!
Location: At the end of Beecher St. in front of Hooked and Cotto Al Mare restaurants.
The event will be similar to last year:
- We are asking families to pre-register by Friday, August 6 https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CSBCSand2021
- Sandcastle plots will be 5M apart
- Teams will stay on the sand during the streamlined judging and awards process.
There are only three rules!
- Digging and collection of beach material cannot start until 10:00AM.
- Beach materials are the only things that can be incorporated into your creation.
- Plots are a maximum size of 10×10 sq ft – stakes and measuring string will be provided.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you have questions.
Snail River Run
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Snail River Run – this race was our biggest to date with 250 racers! What a night. While we get things organized to post the results at the pool, you can also find your race times by following the Zone4 LINK HERE
Looking forward to seeing you all again next year!
Bullhead – August
How do you communicate with a fish? Drop it a line.
Congratulations to our July Bullhead Derby Winners!
- Riley Springate – Largest fish & most unusual catch (what it actually is remains a mystery)
- Nicholas Macpherson – Most fish caught
- Tallie Pearsall – Smallest fish
Sizes will remain a secret as we enter into our August Event. Just a reminder that there is a trophy for largest fish caught for the entire summer. Please send a photo submission of your child with their catch as well as the measurement of any bullheads caught.
Remember any catch made off the pier, beach or boat off of Crescent Beach is valid for entry. Let’s give Riley some competition for that trophy!
(What kind of music should you listen to, to improve your chances for the trophy?…Something catchy 🤣)
Pentathlon, Friday August 6 (Tonight!)
Registration is over for the August 6 Pentathlon. If you are registered, meet at the lifeguard tower right after Foot Races.
- Next date is Friday, August 13
- FREE for ages 8 – 12 (must be 8 as of August 31, 2021) MUST BE A STRONG SWIMMER and comfortable swimming in the ocean.
- Be prepared to do some ocean swimming, running and even get messy, depending on the theme of the day! Last event, there were lots of kids covered in chocolate!
- Register through your online Active Net account starting at 9am on Monday. Deadline is 2pm on Thursday, August 12.
The final pentathlon of the summer will be Friday, August 27
Friday night Footraces happening tonight, 7pm, followed by the Pentathlon!